Thursday 21 April 2016

The Roof Top Servery - One Room Challenge Week 3

Here we are at week 3 of the One Room Challenge already & nothing has actually happened IN my ORC space. We have been sourcing, purchasing & getting everything together & lined up so when it's go time we can hopefully cross the finish line in time.

To see what's happened, or maybe I should say what hasn't happened, or if your just joining in you can read week 1 & week 2 to get up to speed on my crazy decision to join in on this edition One Room Challenge to complete a room in just 6 weeks. We ran into a little hiccup with the original fabric I chose, you'll read about that in a bit. I revised the design board yet again... (3rd times a charm right) to reflect the new fabric.


What's really holding us up is the tiling of the floor, since this need to be done first. It was supposed to begin this week but has been pushed until Monday. The electrician has done his bit but will be back at the end to install our lighting.

My grandfather is going to be building the body of the cabinets & the bi-fold shutter doors are ready made from the Home Depot. I really love the look of the shutter doors with their nice wide louvers. I'm thinking black or lucite / acrylic hardware, I'm not sure if I want to draw attention to the hardware or not. We'll see.


The painter is all lined up to paint the interior cabinets, walls, stairwell, exterior door & the orange oak handrails are going to get a sanding then be painted black.

We already have the Caesarstone counter top from a previous project that got the axe at the last minute, so once the cabinetry is in place, it needs a little trimming & sink hole cutting.

Our Vintage Barbie & Ken photograph has been ordered & is on it's way to me as we speak so I want to get that framed up & begin an art project I have planned for the stairwell.


This week we also looked at carpets for the stairs & the stairwell lighting, decisions are being made on these still. Here are the carpet contenders.


This fun door hardware from Emtek will be going on the exterior door. Can you guess which colour we chose?!



Last but not least, I ordered up my most favourite palm fabric ever from Christina La Croix 


for the under counter skirt & almost fell off my chair when 2 1/2 yards plus shipping & tax came in at $674, wholesale! NO KIDDING, SO BUMMED. I knew what the most sane solution was, that would look great was Swaying Palms. But I'm a beggar for punishment so, I sat at my computer for hours, literally, scouring the internets for palm fabrics that were different & would not cost an arm & a leg. I came back around to Swaying Palms, so for $70 I ordered that business up from Tonic Living, especially after seeing this image on Architectural Digest for Eastern Accents bedding collection I was sold.



I am not holding my breath but I will cross my fingers that by the time next week rolls around we will have hard labour happening in the form of floor & cabinets and I can show you some progress pics of the space.

Please see what all of the featured designers & the linking participants have gotten up to this week on their One Room Challenges!





12 comments:

  1. Love your mood board! The fabric, the black & white tiles, the black paint...
    I can't wait to see this room complete!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I'm going for The Beverly Hills Hotel meets a bit of cottage chic.

      Delete
  2. Don't you hate it when you fall in love with fabrics that cannot be justified!? AAGH! I do that all the time. I think your plan B will be lovely too - can't wait to see how it all comes out! Cheers!!! -Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stephanie - If only project budgets were no existent!!!

      Delete
  3. I have never heard of Emtek, how cool! I will have to keep that in mind for when I redo my front door! I really love the blue handle and the black! I think I would have to go with black, its classic.

    Palms are my newest obsession! I love that fabric!! I would have a hard time cutting it! lol

    - Jaclyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jaclyn we are going with the black & Emtek has the most amazing door hardware & the quality is excellent! FYI the new palm fabric is outdoor too.

      Delete
  4. That Barbie and Ken art is SO brilliant. Can't wait to see it hanging it your space!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Super fun right?! I always like to add a bit of whimsy &/or humour into a space.

      Delete
  5. I'm crazy for the Barbie and Ken art and the hardware--both so unique! And the palm fabric is beautiful--so excited to see your finished room.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This space is going to be so unique. Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is doing to be such a great space. I would hang out here for hours. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like the tonic fabric you chose. It's going to look beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading. I enjoy your feedback.